Why Do We Dream?
Dreams can be mysterious, sexy, strange, confusing, or even amusing. Have you ever shared a dream with your friends and noticed that many people report having the same or similar types of dreams? If you’re wondering what your dreams mean don’t worry, I’ve got you covered!
Early civilizations thought of dreams as a medium between humans and the gods. Every night during sleep, every individual will have around five dream episodes, which can last between 15 and 40 minutes. Dream experts explain that our dreams mirror fundamental patterns of human behavior. They reflect who we are, what we need and what we believe in. The definitions of the most common dreams are not black and white. So, when you are trying to figure out what your dreams mean, your subconscious will not spell it out for you. It’s a job for your conscious to figure out!
5 Most Common Dreams
Essentially, dreams are stories we play out in our heads overnight. These can follow a linear narrative or be more abstract. There is no one single, definitive meaning of a dream, but some of them are so common that they have a generally accepted overtone. Here are the 5 most common ones:
- Dreams About Dying– these are the scariest ones. But don’t worry, it doesn’t mean that you are dying in real life. Dreamers sometimes dream of the death of a loved one or even dream of dying themselves. It’s often more directly related to a dramatic change happening for the dreamer — the end of one thing, in order to make room for something new.
- Falling Dreams– Dreams about falling from great heights are very common. Falling dreams are a sign that something in your life isn’t going well. These dreams signify anxiety and a loss of control in your waking life. It might suggest that you need to rethink a choice or consider a new direction in some area of your life.
- Naked in Public Dreams– Have you ever have one of those awkward dreams where you show up at school or the office in your birthday suit? Don’t worry. Dreaming about being naked is hardly unusual. A dream of being naked (particularly before a group of peers) is a sign of insecurity, humiliation, shame or feelings of vulnerability.
- Dreams About Being Chased- Dreams that feature being pursued by a known or unknown attacker can be particularly terrifying. But what do these dreams say about what’s going on inside your mind? It can indicate that you tend to run away or avoid an issue, that causes your anxiety and fear in your waking life.
- Dreams About Losing Teeth- It might mean that you are worried about your attractiveness or appearance. It might also indicate that you are concerned about your ability to communicate or concerned that you might have said something embarrassing. It could mean that you should work on your self-confidence in your waking life.
The next time you have what seems like an unusual dream, remember this: you’re not alone. There are a lot of books out there that try to interpret the symbolic imagery of dreams in order to search for hidden, subconscious meanings. Some people even base major life decisions on the contents of their dreams. So, I think that your first big decision should be to buy an Emma mattress.
I believe, if somehow we could interpret every hidden meaning of our dreams then this knowledge would be life changing. But until then have mysterious dreams with Emma!